Welcome to TexasBurgerStops.com

As a native Texan, it is my duty to seek out burger places around the Lone Star State and let my fellow burger-loving friends know of my findings. That's what this site it all about.


Thursday, August 14, 2008

SoDo Grill - Fort Worth

The SoDo Grill is located on Houston Street in South Downtown Fort Worth (hence the SoDo name).

I have been many times, but the old building it is in lacks what I would call an adequate air-conditioning system, so it gets a bit warmer in there than I care to endure in these hot Texas summers. It's not unbearable, don't get me wrong, but it could be cooler. The owners realize it's an issue and have fans blowing, which help greatly.

I have tried a number of items on the menu, including the Monster Taco's, the Sante Fe Chicken and Charlie's Chicken Strips. The food is good.

My friend Samson is going back to India next week and he loves the SoDo, so I had to go with him one more time before he leaves. I don't know why, but I haven't ever eaten the burger there. I finally tried it a few days ago and it was pretty good. Not Herd's good, but good.

It is a 1/2 lb burger served up on an untoasted sesame seed bun. The bun looks like it's from Mrs. Baird's (a legendary Fort Worth bakery) and that is fine with me.

It comes with your choice of Pepper Fries, Crinkle Cut Fries or a side salad. I chose the Pepper Fries this time, although I have tried the side salad with the vinaigrette and it's greatness. I still don't know where the 'Pepper' comes from in the Pepper Fries name, as they are neither spicy hot nor pepper-soaked. They were a little too plain for my tastes, but they were acceptable fries, something no burger should be without.

The burger arrived quickly. It was hot, served open-faced with nice red onions, a slice of red tomato, hamburger dill pickles and some green iceburg lettuce. Everything looked great.

There was a hint of mayo on one side and I might have detected a bit of a horseradish taste to it, although it was very mild. I had covered the burger in mustard, so with all of the flavors from the veggies and the condiments, my taste buds might have been misled.

Overall the burger was good, but it was a bit more than I usually eat. I normally go for the 1/4 lb or junior burgers. This one, at a 1/2 lb, was too much for lunch and I ended up leaving some of it, along with some of the fries, on the plate.

If you are near downtown at lunchtime, I recommend the SoDo. It's good food.

SoDo Grill
911 Houston St.
Fort Worth, TX
817-877-3939


  • Patty Size and Style: medium thick, appears to be hand formed
  • Cooking style: appears to be a flat top
  • Char: some char
  • Bun: soft, fresh and untoasted with sesame seeds
  • Vegetables: 'hamburger' dill pickles, green iceberg lettuce, nice red tomato
  • Napkins needs: one napkin should do
  • Special attributes: the crawfish burrito is a local favorite, the old building is pretty cool and it's downtown, baby!
  • Ownership: appears to be locally owned, non chain

No comments: