Welcome to TexasBurgerStops.com

As a native Texan, it is my duty to seek out burger places around the Lone Star State and let my fellow burger-loving friends know of my findings. That's what this site it all about.


Friday, January 6, 2012

Marlene's @ The Big Chill - Chicken Salad Sandwich

Marlene's is one of those places that looks like it has been around since the beginning of time. In a good way, of course. It is nestled in an old building on The Largest Downtown Square in America. The building, at one time, housed a local soda shop, the counter still remains to this day. Coca Cola and Dr Pepper memorabilia add to the decor, as does the detailed ceiling tiles and the wooden floors.


I always go to Marlene's for one thing, the Chicken Salad sandwich (CSS). Others will tell you the French Dip is the thing to try, while others will tell you the soups are the thing. Trust me, it's all good. 


When I visit Marlene's, they always greet me with a smile and a menu. I usually order a glass of water or tea and the #21, a full size chicken salad sandwich on white bread with Sun Chips. Oh, and the bread is not the stuff that Mrs. Baird's mass produces, it's homemade bread. Sliced about a half-inch thick, the bread has a nice airy look and a soft feel that really compliments the chicken salad.


Marlene loads up the sandwich with an ample amount of chicken salad, two slices of tomatoes per half and leafy green lettuce. On the plate is a pickle spear and a bag of Sun Chips (or Ruffles). When you bite into the sandwich, the chicken salad oozes out the side of the bread a bit because Marlene's doesn't just show the bread the Chicken Salad, they pile it on. I usually use the Sun Chips to scoop up the leftover chicken salad sitting on the plate when I am done with the sandwich.


If you are in the area around lunch, it's a can't miss item and a can't miss place.


Marlene's The Big Chill on Urbanspoon

No comments: